Saturday, January 30, 2010

Red Lentil Coconut Curry Soup


After a long day at the bakery I came home and was in the mood for more soup. The rain pelting down on the skylight above the stove confirmed my craving. Opened the cupboard and what did I see red lentils staring back at me. Lentils are great because they are ready in an hour or less! Here is the recipe that I concocted today! If these spices are not readily available, use curry powder or make your own mixture.

Begin with:
  • 1 1/4 cup red lentils
  • 2 1/2 T. red chili paste
  • 2 1/2 cups water
  • 1- 14 oz. can coconut milk
  • 1 t. cumin
  • 1 t. ground fenugreek
  • 1 t. salt
  • 1/2 t. coriander
  • 1/4 t. cinnamon
Directions: In a medium sized pot combine lentils, chili paste, water and milk. Bring to a boil and turn down to simmer for 20 minutes. Stir occasionally. Add spices and whisk to combine completely. Keep heat on low until lentils are fully cooked and soup has thickened, about 25 more minutes. After that the soup is ready to be served. Serve with drops or swirls of coconut milk on top and maybe a few green onions. Makes about 3 cups. See you in the kitchen!

1 comment:

  1. I love lentils!! I can't wait to try out this recipe.

    ReplyDelete