Wednesday, February 3, 2010

Braised Tempeh beside Mixed Greens with Balsamic, Carmelized Onion and Pear



Tempeh is made from cultured and fermented soybeans that naturally form a cake. The fermentation process allows the soybeans to stay whole, in turn providing a higher protein and vitamin content than tofu. My favorite is the five grain and flax. You can find it right next to the tofu in the refrigerator section at the grocery store. My favorite way to cook tempeh is to simply pan fry both sides then immerse in broth and place in a preheated oven until the liquid is soaked up into the tempeh. I have found this method to be easy on digestion as well as just delicious and flavorful. Hope you all will give it a try!

2 comments:

  1. I wonderered what tempeh was. You're full of great info. I think I'll serve it to the cousins on Super Bowl Sunday!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooo I can't wait to hear what they think. That will be awesome. Have a great super bowl and let me know what you did with it!

    ReplyDelete