Monday, February 15, 2010

Rosemary Au Gratin Potatoes



For Valentine's Day I wanted to make something rich and creamy to accompany our meal. After a couple laps around the grocery I was obsessed with massive yellow potatoes. I thought, "Yum, when is the last time I had au gratin potatoes?" I think it was at a wedding in a tired chaffing dish that just didn't have enough sterno-power underneath it to be good. This is one of my biggest pet peeves, undercooked or cold potatoes. Really awkward to chew and just plain old nasty. So undoubtedly, I was determined to make a dreamy vegan au gratin potato dish with potatoes that were all the way cooked! Exploring recipes I realized that most dishes are started with thinly sliced raw potatoes and just baked. I'm sure this works great, but I just haven't experienced it yet. So instead to ensure doneness I let the thinly sliced potatoes cook shortly in salted boiling water. After about a minute I strained and finished my vegan roux based creamy rosemary sauce. I layered the potatoes neatly in a cast-iron round and seasoned and sauced every layer. Topped with sliced onion and baked at 400 for about 45 minutes it was pure bubbly goodness! I let it sit for about 10 minutes, then sliced into it like a pie. My valentine and I enjoyed this together. Yeah!

No comments:

Post a Comment