Sunday, March 7, 2010

Veggie Tamale Casserole


Growing up I was weirdly jealous of other children's casseroles. I don't remember ever really having a casserole. The closest we came was an array of flavors and colors in a cast iron skillet. Is that considered a casserole? A casserole is described as a large deep serving vessel filled and baked in the oven. The idea being that you don't have to transfer the food to a different dish before serving. So mom's cast iron creations were sort of like a casserole? I was always envious of Tater Tot and Macaroni casserole, with the crushed saltines on top. Quite hilarious for me thinking about this now, I don't know why it was so interesting. So now here I am writing about casseroles and just made an awesome recipe for a Veggie Tamale Recipe. I was so excited to make a "One Pot Wonder" in my grandmother's old Swedish beans casserole dish. I started by making my polenta, while that was cooking I sautéed green and red peppers, mushrooms, onions, garlic, broccoli and jalapeno. After this was finished I layered polenta, veggie mixture and black and pinto beans and popped it in the oven. My friend Natsumi showed up to my house starving and just in time for the casserole to hit the table. I served it up with some lime cilantro coleslaw, salsa and sliced avocado. My first official casserole done and quite nice!

2 comments:

  1. Looks absolutely delicious! Any ideas for a vegan cinnamon roll? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you darlin! Funny you should ask about cinnamon rolls, I just made a great recipe that is vegan and whole wheat. Yeah! Just fine tuning the filling, it will be up soon!

    ReplyDelete