Thursday, April 1, 2010

Salad Toppers with a Protein Punch!

Lately, I have been craving just about every raw veggie known to man, dressed with a homemade vinaigrette and topped with some flavor and substance. Yes this does sound quite cliche coming from a vegan , who does only eat plants... but I don't normally eat salads for every meal. I promise. So my sudden excitement for salad has brought me to experiment with proteins amongst my salad bowl. There are plenty of proteins to place atop a fiasco of greens ,such as seared tempeh, baked tofu, braised seitan, or simply beans. On the contrary, I have been enjoying the quick no-cook kind. My favorite has been my very own trail mix. The peanuts, pepitas and cashews pack protein, vitamins and healthy fats. Oh, and the dried pineapple, raisins and pretzel bits add a good "chew", and salty crunch. Here are a couple more quick salad fixers: sunflower seeds, chia seeds, goji berries, soynuts or flax seeds. Jazz up your next salad with these favorites and see for yourself the fabulous punch of energy and satisfaction! Please share with me your favorite salad toppers. See you in the kitchen!

No comments:

Post a Comment